Saturday 14 April 2012

Time Flies

Well yesterday flew by and I don't even remember what I did.  Besides taxi driving children all around, truly the day passed and I didn't have much to show for it.  My house was cleaned and three loads of laundry done and hung on the clothes line, but nothing was created, made, or baked....Yikes!

I will show you a couple of my ideas, that my talented husband made for me.  I design it and he builds it, hahaha.  I ponder quite a bit on my ideas until I believe I've got the design down and then I give my husband, oh.....about a day to make it, sounds fair right?!  He does do good work, even with short notice.



So the shelf/ledge is the newest homemade item.  I have thought for a few years about what to do with the wall above my sofa.  I've never been happy with just a picture there, and have tossed ideas around for ever....So here is my idea.  Very inexpensive, rustic style, distressed (although it's hard to see)  I did hit it with a screw driver and hammer for a few dents, I poked it with a nail several times to appear like worm holes and lastly I stained it and waxed it, I'm not a lover of shiny wood.  I prefer a worn/distressed look.
I can change my decor on the shelf to go with the seasons or my mood, what ever strikes first.  I distressed the "H", and acquired the rest of the items, and made the "nest" canvas.  I took old pages from a dictionary (when I say old, I do mean old, I got the dictionary from the Salvation Army, it had been written in, torn pages out of etc...)then I took a canvas bought from Dollarama, and cut the pages, modge podged them at different angles for layers, and printed up the "nest" description that I found some time ago and loved.  Then further distressing with stain and a coat of polyurethane to seal....voila!
Oh I've been playing around on Picasa with my pics so that's why the colouring is different, just having fun is all, heehee.  OK on to creating some thing newish today, chat soon.










2 comments:

  1. I love simple things. I'm sure I'm going to enjoy visiting your blog. I also just started a blog. Come on over and join. www.sewcraftykathy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thanks for stopping by and I will definitely check out your blog. This blog thing is new to me even as far as following goes, but so far so good. I love it :)
    Thanks Kathy

    ReplyDelete